Time Zone Experiences

It would be great if you could reflect on the experience of making something to share with students in the US about what students are doing at various times of the the day. Of course we are just in the starting phase at the moment, and it will become much more interesting as more content is added to the wiki. Would love to read your thoughts on the process you have gone through so far. See if you can make some comments to others bloggers as well.

Who are your heroes?

default

The Beijing Olympics starting tomorrow will have lots of talk about heroes, and there are many sporting heroes in the news and on TV. But they are not the only kind of heroes are they? There are lots of other people we look up to admire and try to be like? Is that your definition of a hero? Can you describe someone who is a hero to you? It doesn't have to be someone famous although it could be. What is you like about them? What makes them a hero to you? Could you be a hero to someone else? Have a think about these things and write a post anout your heroes? Try to make links to posts that other's have done, if you have read any about something that you are writing about. If you don't want to write about heroes you can chosse another topic.

Picture credit: Image: 'My Great-Grandfather's grave, on the Somme.'
www.flickr.com/photos/16434758@N07/2263967989

A new blog post

You may like to write about something you have been learning lately. It doesn't have to be in English; it doesn't have to be at school, just something you are learning right now. Maybe you have found out something new and interesting in one of your subjects or learnt something new in a sport, or a hobby that you do. Maybe in your last holidays you learnt something about a place you visited. I'm sure you can think of something. If you don't want to write about this then maybe you can write about anything you want to, remembereing the rules of copyright.

Making great comments

Everyone likes comments. It means you know people are reading and that they are interested in what you have to say. It is a good practice to read and comment on about three blog posts from students other than your friends. But what do you say? How do you comment in the best way? It is easy to say" wow, great post". but is this really encouraging? Try to make your comments meaningful. When you are commenting think about asking a question. Some sentence starters for comments which I got from Anne Davis , a teacher and a blogger who has great ideas, are here:
  • This made me think about.......
  • I wonder why.......
  • Your writing made me form an opinion about.......
  • This post is relevant because.......
  • Your writing made me think that we should.......
  • I wish I understood why.......
  • This is important because.......
  • Another thing to consider is.......
  • I can relate to this.......
  • This makes me think of.......
  • I discovered.......
  • I don't understand.......
  • I was reminded that.......
  •  

Poetry Rocks

default

Ok for those of you who love writing poems and really want me to give you some more starting points, here is a cool site and three suggestions for nice easy quick ones to have a go at. Make sure when you write them that you save a copy as a word document and that you put them on your blog. For those of you who freak out when someone says write a poem, I guarantee you will find these really easy and painless to write. The site is
    http://ettcweb.lr.k12.nj.us/forms/newpoem.htm

And your poems to try are:

1. I can't write a poem
    2. Lament
    3. Some of my best friends are poems

Happy blogging

Registered users

Blog-list